So…I have news!
I am over-the-moon excited! I’m finally a hybrid author! This has been a long time coming and I am so excited to write these books. Here’s a little more about them:
Sex and the City: A Cultural History
This book will provide cultural context and analysis of the famous show, both how it affected cultural as it aired and also how it looks now 20+ years later. Some topics include:
- Looking at what it means to relate to each of the girls (ala, Are you a Carrie? A Samantha? A Miranda? A Charlotte?)
- What the men in the show illustrate about masculinity and what that means about the kinds of men women are attracted to.
- Issues like diversity or lack thereof, treatment of sex and sexuality, LGBTQIA portrayal.
- How the show made New York a character, built brands, influenced fashion and reflected third wave feminism.
- And a lot more!
I have an end of year deadline, so hopefully the book will come out around the time the reboot, And Just Like That, airs.
Fierce Females in Television: A Cultural History
This book will briefly discuss the nature of physically strong women on TV from the 1950s-1980s, but will focus specifically on the 1990s to today because that is when we saw a major ramp up in the portrayal of these kinds of women.
Shows covered include: Xena: Warrior Princess (1995-2001), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003), Charmed (1998-2006), Alias (2001-2006), Nikita (2010-2013), Agent Carter (2015-2016), Jessica Jones (2015-2019), Game of Thrones (2011-2019), and Homeland (2011-2020).
Some of the topics include:
- An analysis of the main female characters on each show.
- The meaning of female strength and friendships/family.
- The influence of third- and fourth-wave feminism on the shows and their characters.
- Treatment of sex and diversity.
- The role of redemption narratives and change in female lives.
- And more!
This book will be out sometime in 2023/24.
Between these, the League of Women Voters book (due Oct. 4) and at least one work of historical fiction, you know what my next few months and even my 2022 will look like!
Congratulations! Both of these projects sound amazing!
Thank you! I think they will be fun! I’m enjoying the SATC one already!