I’m poking my head out of the writing cave (“Fierce Females in Television: A Cultural History” is due January 6) long enough to do quick review of 2022 and ponder what may be to come in 2023. Do I really have time to do this? No–the book is going slowly and while there is no way it will be done tonight (my original self-imposed deadline), I will meet the real one.
Okay, so, yeah, how is it New Year’s Eve already?
Oh yeah, I’ve been on so many book deadlines this year I can barely breathe. (I can hear my past baby author self sarcastically saying “I wish I had that problem!”) In 2022 I:
- Wrote 2 books (Catherine’s Mercy and Fierce Females in Television) and 2 book chapters (for the Arthurian ethics book and one I haven’t announced yet)
- Edited 3 books (The League of Women Voters Book, Sex and the City, America’s Forgotten Suffragists) and 2 two book chapters (same as above)
- Published the Sex and the City book and held a big book release party for it (I know, I still owe you guys a post about it and photos…it is on my to-do list)
- Spent some time on a ghostwriting project that ultimately didn’t work out, which I’m honestly glad about for multiple reasons, the least of which is one less thing on my already over-full plate
- Celebrated by 19th anniversary at my day job.
- Attended 2 conferences (Chanticleer and the Midwest Pop Culture Association.
- Completed 8 speaking/teaching events.
- Won 2 awards.
- Started using TikTok and Twitch.
- Left Twitter
- Was hospitalized for blood clots and finally got COVID
- Continued writing poetry
- Read around 50 books (not including those for research)
- Helped start a foundation (more on that next year)
- Did something I never thought I would do (more on that soon as well)
My head is spinning just remembering it all.
So, as is tradition, let’s check out how I did on my goals for the year, which I couldn’t even recall until I went back to that blog post.
Contracted (meaning I’m contractually obligated to do these)
- Research and write the Fierce Females book (due Jan. 13, 2023) DONE
- Edit League of Women Voters book (Jan 2022) DONE
- Edit Minor bio (Jan- March 2002) DONE
- Edit SATC book (TBD) DONE
- Project involving Daughter of Destiny (Jan 2022) THIS FELL THROUGH
- Write and record Historical Fiction Master Class (Jan 2022) THIS HAS BEEN POSTPONED
- Attend the Chanticleer Conference (June 2022) DONE
- Write more fiction! I DIDN’T TOUCH ANY OF THESE BECAUSE OTHER PROJECTS CAME UP
- WWII (halfway done)
- Revolutionary War book
- Female inventor
- A few fun side projects:
- Family cookbook (using recipes from my parents, grandparents and other relatives) STARTED IT BUT NEVER GOT BACK TO IT
- Studying tarot and other metaphysical topics DIDN’T TOUCH THIS
- Dream Atelier through the School of Self image STARTED BUT ABANDONED
- Write my own magazine based on the Live Like An Editor workshop from last year PART-WAY DONE
- Continue writing poetry DONE
- Continue taking classes through the School of Self Image. This is doing so much for all areas of my life. It’s cheaper than therapy and makes me very happy. I DID THIS FOR A WHILE BUT THEN QUIT TO SAVE MONEY
- Lose 55 lbs (I’m on a weight control plan with my doctor and am working with a health coach. Focusing on eating well, medicine, mindset, and exercise) UM, THIS DIDN’T HAPPEN, BUT NOT FOR LACK OF TRYING. I WEIGH MORE NOW THAN I EVER HAVE.
- Learn to dance – whatever I can do without a partner. I LOVE to dance, need to move, and I want to feel sexy again. DIDN’T DO THIS
- Find balance between work and writing; slowly start to shift in the direction of more writing. I have a long-term goal of becoming a full time author. ME, BALANCE?
- Pay off debt – This is not only smart, but it is necessary for me to be able to move. I have three cities in mind where I’d like to live in the future. I’m not ready to add that to my list yet, but this is a baby step in that direction. YES AND NO. I MADE PROGRESS BUT I ALSO MADE MORE BILLS
- Assuming COVID lets us: attend more cultural events like theatre, ballet, opera, symphony, dance, etc. DONE!
If you are still reading this, I’m impressed (thank you)! Despite some ups and downs, 2022 was really good year for me. Tonight I’m going to finish cleaning my house, pour some prosecco and continue writing. Here’s to 2023 being an even better year than 2022! *clinks glass* Happy New Year everyone!
Happy New Year, Nicole! I hope that is a book about Tristan and Isolde I saw among your future projects. Keep up the good work!
Belated Happy New Year to you as well. It is! I also plan to tell Morgan and Elaine’s stories. But I have to write books right now that will hopefully increase what I can ask for in advances. Once I’m doing this FT I can do more passion projects. I hope you are well!